17 October 2009

New Friends

As my laundry sits in its bag impatiently, I sit down to relax and take a break.

We rolled in from mission the other day to find that my clinic had been overrun. The new guys sent to my little corner of Afghanistan have cleaned and rearranged the clinic. I return to my room and there are 3 new guys sitting in the clinic moving supplies and just taking a break to chat. As soon as I walk in one says, maybe he thought he was quiet, "That must be the Sergeant." "Yup thats me.", I exhaled while removing my body armor. I meet the 2 medics and the PA. Good flyboys, but why did they need to move almost everything. Now I have to go through and re-learn where everything is. I don't mind the cleaning because with how busy the other medic and I have been, we needed to catch up on some chores around here.

While we were out, I usually cook something on a propane stove or grill. So this past mission I cooked some chili, rather good if I say so myself. All the boyos loved it, ate it all up! So one said that I need to write down some of the recipes I use out in the field and make a cookbook out of it. It wouldn't be anything grand, mostly how to cook something tasty with very little resources. Home 6 also said I should write, she says I'd be good at it because she likes listening to my stories about things I've done in the past. Only thing is who would want to listen to a South Georgia boy ramble on about past experiences and cooking camp type food. I'd probably sell 2 copies, one for my mom and the other for Home 6.

I cook because it is relaxing and creative to make something great out of regular stuff. So me and Bulldog, my platoon sergeant, usually talk about cooking and recipes when we are relaxing after a long day. Swap ideas about how to cook certain foods. Its also entertaining to talk about food with all the guys. Sit back and reminisce about food at home and where we're gonna eat when we get back home. One of my friends returned from leave and I asked him where the first place he ate when he got back in the states. He made my mouth water talking about this steak he ate at Longhorn's the night he got back home. Everyone knows I love food; preparing it, cooking it, eating it, the whole process. I just wish the food on my base was a quarter as good as what is in a can of concentrated chicken noodle soup. Yes the food is that bad off.

Bulldog sometimes cooks when we return from mission just to help break up the monotony. We keep saying we are gonna have a battle of the chefs between us and the other platoon, because they talk shit saying what they fix is sooooo good. If I had half the resources they have I would be able to create a 4 course meal that would satisfy Juilia Child herself!!

Enough of my bragging and shit. Ya'll take it easy!!

1 comment:

Journey said...

Just name your condiments and I'll send them off to you. Hell, I'll even throw in some primo beans for you. Only thing I need in return is that chili recipe. Sounds like it would be perfect for when I go camping. God, its lunch time here and you now made me hungry for some good chili!

Interesting how you're blogging about how bad the food is there and RSM is blogging about how good it is in Qatar. I say not fair!