01 December 2008

Preparations for War

Now that my preferred occupation has recalled my services, I prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Mentally I get back into my zone of hate and intolerance for stupidity. Needless to say I get mad alot, this IS the Army, but it doesn't last long. I now have to think about the health and well being of about 130 men, and yes only men because I am a combat medic not some pansy in a Clinic somewhere. I put my mind back in medic mode, to help hurting soldiers and lead my medics to always think of the next thing; stay up with new medical procedures, next actions needed with a casualty, and tactical profeciency. So thats what my mind is absorbed with most of the time.

Physically I get my personal fitness back into a considerablly better shape. Working out and attempting to eat better is a good focus. I also am getting supplies ordered and planning for operations, here for training and for missions on foreign soil. The physical aspect will take time but its something you have to do.

Emotionally I prepare not to care. I know that sounds cold but thats the way you have to look at some things in order to keep your mind on your job. I already care about my soldiers, but there is a difference between caring and becoming emtionally attached. The soldier you care for can be your friends, best friends, or brothers from another mother but you have to be able to let them go if you have to. Hopefully I won't have to let go of any of them. On the homefront its good to have someone to care for and cares for you. I currently have a special lady in my life and she fits the bill. Any soldier will tell you if you have nothing to loose you will make bad decisions. If you have something to live for or someone to go home to you'll slow down and think about your decisions and make better chocies for your men.

Preparing for what most men fear really brings you down to earth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

still here for you, brother.