17 December 2008

IED To The Face...

As the days roll by like a speeding freight train, its that time again to spend quality time with friends and loved ones. Because next Christmas won't be around a decorated tree with family, but around a HMMWV or sand table preparing for another mission.

As time gets smaller, its only natural to think about not wanting to leave your loved ones behind. Thinking; will everything be alright while I'm gone, will my children understand, will my spouse/significant other wait or leave. I really don't have these dilemmas like most of the other soldiers around me do. I just tell them I cannot imagine the the stress you have right now, and usually try to offer what seems in my eyes as petty and useless advice.

My dilemma is the lack of time I have to spend with all the people who crave my attention. Being the guy that I am I make many friends along my journeys. Many haven't heard from me in a while, its sad I only think about them once in a while or when I know I won't be able to talk to them. I want to spend time with them all if at all possible, but I know I can't be in many places at once. My family of course is my first priority, I owe too much to my momma and daddy, and all they want is a little of my time, oh yeah and my brother, but he'll be in Afghanistan with me so I'll see him. Next is my lady, even though I know we won't be together forever I still want her to know I care for her and I will miss her. On to all my friends, it's not fair that they get the short end of the stick, but my roots are from South Georgia and many of them are from North Georgia. Not to say thats a problem, just problematic, being sent to training with little notice, or just keeping odd hours to complete tasks.

But now as the deployment is close enough to taste in the air, I want all my friends to know you're not forgotten or disowned. There is no excuse for my lack of communication. Just know with the little time I have, my smiling face will be around, you may not now when, but keep an eye peeled. 'Cause if you know me I move where the moment takes me.

No comments: