28 March 2008

Sleepless in South GA

It has been a long day without sleep but I still can't sleep.

I guess the Iraq switch in the back of my head flipped. I remember this feeling doin long missions and back to back patrols. I've been tryin to take power naps but can't. Every litle sound or lack thereof makes me look around for the problem. As long as the ambient noise stays persistent I seem to get a little sleep. Even though I've been back a while some thing you just don't get rid of.

Just yesterday when I was out on a call to a lesser liked portion of town, a familiar smell hit my nose. I paused for a second looked around and for a split second was back in Baghdad. I reckon some things never leave your mind; smells, patterns of behavior, I always find myself doin the exact same thing when I get my police uniform on as I used to gear up in Iraq. Listen to music, sometimes violent music, and get my mind in the zone, check my appearance, 'cause I gotta look good, especially my hair. I know I don't have alot of hair but I'm proud of it. They don't call be Big Sexy for nothing.

I look at my law enforcement job as I did my military job in Iraq, I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. Why don't you just marinate on that for a minute!

1 comment:

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

Thanks for talking about this stuff a little. My son is there now..for the first time..and it's good to know what to expect when he comes home...and what to do to help him a little.

Have you tried earplugs, by any chance? Well, I like to use just one earplug so I can turn a good ear to evaluate things.

And a good book to transport me someplace else. Reading before bed is a necessity..something leisurely though..no manuals or crap like that.

A little magnesium (capsule form) before bedtime with a glass of milk helps considerably, as well. Calcium and magnesium together act as a mild sleep aid..magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer...no groggy side effects..you can be up and alert quickly if you need to be.